Grifols Engineering designs, builds and tests a special COP (Clean Out Place) system for tangential filters in protein purification processes. The cleaning of tangential flow filtration systems may cause a bottleneck that slows down the global production process. This equipment greatly increases the real effective capacity of the production line.
The main advantages of the system are:
- The cleaning cycle required is simplified significantly leading to a reduction in the occupancy time of the process skid. The cycle time is reduced and the production capacity of this equipment increases, no longer limiting the rest of the plant.
- Different dynamic optimization between the process stage and the cleaning stage. The flow can be adjusted to that required at each stage, due to the physical difference between the process skid and the cleaning skid.
- Improved performance and increased product recovery by decreasing dead volume in the critical stages of the process.
- Specific adjustment of the cleaning conditions required by the membranes.
The COP system consists of the assembly and automation of a skid made up of a buffer tank, recirculation pump, piping and valves, and all of the control instrumentation for the cleaning stages, drainage and tests required.
The system has the capacity to:
- Control process flows, pressures and working temperature, conductivities and levels of preparation and recirculation of cleaning solutions. To achieve this, the system acts on elements such as the automatic valves and flow control elements such as control valves or variable frequency pumps.
- Monitor temperatures, pressure, conductivity, tank level, process parameters using a touch-screen as an operating interface.
The cleaning steps are determined by a personalized programming. The system is controlled using a PLC that can be configured to operate in both automatic mode, for all the steps in the cycle, or in manual mode if required. The system automatically notifies the operator in the case of malfunction or out of range conditions through audio and visual mechanisms: alarms, messages or the status indicators of the field elements.
Grifols Engineering continues to innovate in custom development for the biopharmaceutical sector.