The mission of the Barcelona Science Park (PCB) is to manage effectively and efficiently the spaces that the University of Barcelona has allocated for its development, providing quality services to its clients and users that facilitate the transfer of knowledge between the university and the research and business sectors.
Constituted by the University of Barcelona in 1997, the PCB was the first science park in Spain and has now become an international leader in the fostering of innovation.
Barcelona Science Park
It was the first science park in Spain and is an international point of reference today in the promotion of innovation, with more than 2,000 professionals working there.
At present the park is home to 3 research institutes, more than 70 companies, and a wide range of research support technology. In addition, it organises activities for the promotion of scientific culture and new careers in science, in which close to 4,500 people participate each year.
The Barcelona Science Park has a constructed surface of 86,638 sq meters distributed in 29,530 sq meters for laboratory space, 8,700 sq for office space and 21,030 sq meter of available space for other uses.
- Area of Activity
- Technology transfer
- Science - Technology parks
- Company type
- Services and consulting for biotech sector
- Public and Private Organizations - Non Profit Centers - Medical Research Facilities
Parc Científic de Barcelona Campus Diagonal - Universitat de Barcelona Doctor Marañón, 8
Barcelona, Barcelona 08028, AD
P: +34 93 403 71 73
F:+34 93 403 71 09
As an instrument of UB scientific and technological policy, the main aim of the PCB is to link basic research to industrial policy and to foster innovation. In this regard, the PCB offers researchers, entrepreneurs, and society in general a setting of excellence equipped with powerful research support services, research staff, specialized technicians and agents to promote knowledge and technology transfer and the creation of companies.
Furthermore, as an agent for innovation the PCB aims to enhance economic growth through establishing a new economic make-up based on new technologies. Simultaneously, by transferring scientific and technological knowledge to society, the PCB endeavors to contribute to improving scientific knowledge and quality of life.
In this regard, the PCB offers:
Spaces for experimental research and innovation in a highly technological environment:
Laboratory and office spaces
- Laboratory and office spaces, furniture and facilities equipped with high quality techniques.
- Laboratory spaces pending condition.
Science and technology services with high added value
- Technological Facilities
- Technological Offer
Support research services such as:
Research support services
- Services for the installed institutions (meetings and events, catering, fax, photocopies, courier services, audiovisual services, computing and telecommunications, shop, gas supply and technical support).
- Other services such as Restoring-cafeteria, parking and job offers.
Technology Transfer: Advancing towards technological innovation
The Universitat de Barcelona Group (UB Group) is developing various projects to foster the transfer of knowledge and technology from university-based basic research to the productive sectors, with the aim to increase the level of R+D and technological innovation in companies. In this way, the UB Group seeks greater involvement on the part of the public sector in technological innovation, by taking advantage of the new knowledge-based economy.
It is in this context that the Parc Científic de Barcelona (PCB) is striving to become a key player in the science-technology-company-society system.
The first fruits of the PCB project are now appearing thank to the highly active research environment created in the Park by the companies, business R+D+I units, public sector research groups and technology platforms. Their location within a single setting fosters the creation of mixed units research and joint ventures.
- fostering closer links between researchers of universities and companies
- creating new kinds of relationship between the public and private sectors
- facilitating the creation of high-level technology platforms able to promote basic research and the technologically-innovative activities of companies
- developing procedures which foster the creation of technology-based academic spin-off enterprises
Training and evaluation for science parks, universities and technology
The Parc Científic de Barcelona (PCB, Barcelona Science Park) offers a consultancy service to universities and institutions interested in setting up a science park, and also organizes training courses on science and technology parks.