Life Length, headquartered in Madrid, Spain, is the world's leading technology platform for telomere measurement. Life Length was established in 2010 as a spin-off of the prestigious National Cancer Research Center (CNIO), positioning itself as the only company in the world capable of measuring telomeres in each cell at a chromosomal level, in addition to one of the few laboratories in Europe, and the only one in Spain, which has the CLIA certificate (granted by the FDA) and ISO 15189.
Life Length operates at different levels. On the one hand, its technology is used within different sectors of the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and nutraceutical industries, among others. On the other hand, scientific institutions such as hospitals and universities also benefit from its knowledge and services as it supports their research initiatives. Finally, Life Length has an approach to the general public through medical specialists by offering a biomarker of cellular health and biological age.
In summary, the innovative technologies found in the Life Length’s portfolio are:
- Life Length’s flagship service measures and evaluates telomere length using Telomere Analysis Technology® (TAT®). This technology is recognized as the most accurate indicator of cellular aging, the best method to estimate biological age and is used as a tool for product development in R&D projects. This method provides advantages in the evaluation of telomeric length such as:
- Telomere length in kilobases pairs
- Telomere length frequency (represented as a histogram)
- Percentage of short telomeres
- Median and mean telomere length
- Telomere length of different percentiles (shorter telomeres)
- Furthermore, Life Length also offers Q-TRAP, an optimized and industrialized technique for measuring telomerase activity in different tissues.
In addition to these two techniques, Life Length also offers other complementary techniques to apply in clinical trials to evaluate the effect of therapies, as well as in in vivo or in vitro trials to obtain proof of concept and efficacy studies. It also has the equipment and qualified personal to perform any complete in vitro study in Life Length’s laboratories:
- Quality PCR: alternative telomere length assay ideal for isolated DNA samples
- TRF: another technology available to measure telomere length in DNA
All these technologies can be combined with other molecular and biochemical techniques to evaluate the efficacy of drugs in development and products in promotion, quality control of stem cells, as a prognostic biomarker, and in monitoring clinical trials.
Taking advantage of their knowledge and expertise, Life Length has developed its own research lines for the development and improvement of technologies, and also at a clinical level for the evaluation of telomeres as diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in various pathologies. More specifically, Life Length received 3.1 million euros from the European Union through the Horizon 2020 program for the development of the ONCOCHECK project. This project was born with the ambitious goal of achieving a simple and low-cost solution, based on a blood test that allows oncologists to evaluate the progression of the disease and its monitoring in cancer patients.
Derived from this project, Life Length developed a new test; PROSTAV, which can potentially reduce the performance of unnecessary prostate cancer biopsies in hundreds of thousands of men.
In conclusion, Life Length as a Biotechnology company focuses its activity on:
- Biomarkers for the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry
- Efficacy test for cosmetic and nutraceutical ingredients
- Laboratory testing services for clinics and hospitals (personalized medicine)
- Area of Activity
- Vitamins and nutrition products
- Animal health
- Manufacture of biotech equipment
- Diagnostic - Imaging
- Company type
- Agrifood Biotechnology - Vererinary - Environmental
- Health Biotechnology
- Industrial Biotechnology - Manufacturers